Saturday, March 12, 2011

Easy Spanish Eggs


These days, I only make breakfast on the weekends.  Monday through Friday, I'm bumbling around while Chris whips up either steel cut oats or an egg dish and puts the coffee on.  One more reason I'm so thankful for him.

Every now and then it's good to switch up "the usual."  I called my mother to recall a faint memory of her version of Spanish eggs.  Apparently just early that day, my dad had requested the same dish?!  Miles apart, our taste buds still speak the same language AND at the same time?!


There's just something SO PERFECT about the egg.  It's delicate simplicity is so enticing.  The richness of a running yoke able to coat all the flavorful vegetables or toast.  There's nothing quite like it.

So if you're getting a little bored with your egg breakfast, try this quick dish.  It's guaranteed to please.


Easy Spanish Eggs (for two)

1 tomato
1/2 small red onion
1/2 small can of mild fire-roasted green chilies
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup grated jack cheese
4 eggs
1 tbls of olive oil
a sprinkling of Tapatio or favorite hot sauce
salt and pepper
tortilla
1/2 avocado

My FAVORITE tool for produce, a little corer- works great for tomatoes and strawberries, leaving the most fruit behind.
Chop up your tomato.  Remove the seeds.


My brother taught me this technique when he was taking his cooking class in high school.  I LOVE, and I mean LOVE tomato.  See here for one of my early posts on tomatoes in Portland.  When cooking with tomato, other than in a sauce, I incorporate this seed removal trick- it gets the maximum flavor without the water juice everywhere.


Before I left for college my mom said I needed to buy a few essentials.  One was a good can opener.  BEST ADVICE EVER.  Spend the money and get a good one.  I've had this guy for almost 10 years, and am so glad I bought this one.


Saute your tomatoes, garlic, red onion and chilies in a bit of olive oil.  About 5-7 min.  We're going for softness.


Add in your sauce.  Just a little for me, I want to taste everything else, not JUST the Tapatio.  But to each his own!


Then add the eggs to the pan.  The whites will fill in around the veggies.  Add salt and pepper.

Cover until whites are almost cooked.  This is such a timing thing!


Sprinkle the jack cheese.  I personally think a good Monterey jack cheese and eggs are the E-harmony of breakfast.  SUCH a great match!  Cover with lid for a min on low just to melt cheese.


Serve immediately with warm tortilla and sliced avocado.   What a way to start the day?!  This dish will put a little hop in your step, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment