Monday, March 14, 2011

Dining Out: Papa Haydn, Portland OR


27th birthday.  Movie matinée.  Happy hour on the river front.  Then dessert at a "surprise destination."

Down on NW 23rd, beaming in the middle of draping white lights for miles is Pearl District's Papa Haydn.



Chris had heard this was "where you go for dessert in Portland."  And he was right.  Reading the dessert menu was a food writer's mind massage.  I read each description slowly and tastefully.  But alas, I needed to make a decision.

I had it down to the White Chocolate Mint Torte, the Baked Alaska or the Banana Coconut Cream Pie.


We ordered coffee to clear our palate and contemplate.

Contemplating.
Decision.
I went with the Banana Coconut Cream Pie.  The waitress said after working there four years, it was still her favorite.  SOLD.

The banana was the main event, but the coconut was not to be missed.  It was like my two favorite cream pies in ONE!  And with an espresso chocolate top?!  And the almond cream (other side of plate) to sweep each fork full through... oh my.

I was SO into this pie, I forgot to blow out the birthday candle.  Literally, it burned all the way INTO THE TOP LAYER before I realized it.  Talk about being focused on the task at hand.

Chris enjoyed the Georgian Peanut Butter Moose.  You cannot get peanut butter by this guy.  I'm the fruity dessert girl.  He's the rich dessert guy.  And there's always some to bring home.


Little did I know there would be fifteen of our newly made Portland friends inside our home to yell surprise?!  I felt so loved.  And so full of banana goodness.  What a beautiful birthday.

I can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu.  Oh, and dinner too?  But we will definitely be saving room for dessert!

Papa Haydn on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that settles it! I am driving there for dessert! (someday)

    ReplyDelete