Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Badass Brownies"


I'm not usually one to use the term "badass," but if I do incoorporate any profanity into my writing you know it's deserving. These brownies were named by a chef and baker from Portland, OR, who is indeed herself pretty badass: Ker Jensen. This is the video I watched when scouring the internet for something to bake for our wine-get together a month back. I was looking for something decadant, over the top, comforting and bad (the good kind of bad).

Urban dictionary's definition reads: an uncommon man of supreme style. I like that. Now, while the brownie is common, this badass brownie is will redefine your definition of brownie. Seriously if you didn't watch the video yet... you must watch before reading on. She's intense so put your big girl/boy pants on for this one.



You will feel slapped and shamed for any other kind of brownie that's ever come out of your kitchen... but there's hope people! There's hope because I'm posting the recipe! We can all be badass bakers!

Badass Brownies (by Ker Jensen)

1 1/3 cups unbleched all-purpose flour

3/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 cup (2 sticks) room temp unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar

2 tbls creme fraiche, or sour cream

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

4 large eggs at room temperature


Badass Toppings (Coffee Syrup, Ganache, Sea Salt, Fruity Olive Oil)

1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee

1/2 cup granulated sugar


8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

1 cup heavy cream

1 tbls unsalted butter at room temperature


a drizzle of fruity extra virgin olive oil

a sprinkling of course sea salt


Set your oven to 350 degrees.


As Ker recommends, line up your cupcake tins.


Mixer is ready with paddle attachment. A hand mixer is fine as well.

 

Start with the brownies... sift your dry ingredients. I have to say the dutch cocoa powder is already worth it. It is screaming chocolate.


In your mixing bowl, beat the butter. Add both sugars. Mix for about 2 min until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides as needed.

Add creme fraiche, then vanilla, then the eggs one at a time. Did you know you can make your own vanilla with vanilla beans and vodka? As it runs low, just add more vodka! It's the gift that keeps on giving. And the real deal is just so good.

With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingrediants.

 

With an icecream scoop or two large spoons, scoop batter in 3/4 full.

Bake on the middle rack until the edges are set but the center is slightly under cooked, but not raw. No tooth-pick trick... watch the video.

Should be somewhere in the ball park of 20-25 min. At about 10-12 min, flip them around for even baking in the oven.

While they are baking, combine your freshly brewed coffee with sugar on the stove until simmer. NO OLD COFFEE PEOPLE... Dad, I know you are reading this- don't make me come down there, I know you claim not to notice a difference, but your palate is a work in progress. :-) Make it fresh. Please?


When the brownies are ready they look like this:


See how the center wants to cave? That's perfect! Crusty rim with a natural well for the ganache later!


Look at that crevasse! (Say it like Bear Grylls)


Brush the coffee syrup on the brownies. This will add to the chocolate flavor and ENSURE moisteness for days! I want to try this on cake too.


Now, I know these are like a 9.8 at this point, but we HAVE to go over the top- you have come this far!


Ganache time. Heat the cream over medium heat till it comes to a simmer.

Ganache is fancy. Use really good chocolate.


Pour over chopped chocolate (in a heat safe bowl) and let stand for 5 min. The chocolate will soften.

Add butter and stir well.

 

Chocolate soup anyone?


Spoon the gananche into the brownie's well. Top with a drizzle of olive oil.


I was given this olive oil from spain. It was rated the #1 olive oil in the world last year. I love having food rep friends who give me goodies. He would sneak us a bag under the pews in church after being gone on a trip. Anyone loves goodies, but he knew we loved and APPRECIATED his "left over" treats.

This olive oil is so decidant. Just a quick splash. Then the sprinkling of sea salt. The chocolate will smile like it's wearing diamonds. Everybody's just so happy.


And then for that memorable first bite. I'm done for. It's the best brownie I've ever had.

 

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Much better than the "no pudge fudge brownies" we made in college. haha. What were were thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo, too funny. I know... we are all about the fudge now. I guess we needed our degree to figure that one out.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely making these! Thanks.
    I also intend to make your watermelon salad recipe; I even have the melon on the counter, but who wants to bet this recipe happens first? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely making these! Thanks.
    I also intend to make your watermelon salad recipe; I even have the melon on the counter, but who wants to bet this recipe happens first? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making these! Thanks.
    I also intend to make your watermelon salad recipe; I even have the melon on the counter, but who wants to bet this recipe happens first? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Moley--I'll have the jitters for days from all that caffeine. Reminds me of the time that I made a flourless chocolate cake with Scharffenberger and couldn't sleep all night. They do absolutely sound beyond belief wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, I would undoubtedly eat these no matter what you call them! Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good gravy, that looks so good, Noelle! I was hoping that photo was a scratch and taste! Dang it!

    ReplyDelete