Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lemon Pistachio Cake

If you like nuts, this cake is for you. And if you like lemon, than it’s time you get to the kitchen.  Thanks to Stacey Snacks, who is quickly becoming a "go to" food blogger for fun food- this nutty cake calls for a roaring applause, and seconds.

The lemon: a top five favorite ingredient for me in the kitchen, I should grow a tree.

The recipe calls for rose water, but vanilla works just fine. I think the lemon glaze on top is what sealed the deal for me.


Arguably the two best nuts ever



Lemon Pistachio Cake

1 cup of ground almonds

1 cup of ground pistachios

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks butter), softened

1 cup sugar

4 eggs

zest of a whole lemon

1 tsp rose water (or 1/2 tsp vanilla)

1 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup flour

pinch of salt


Icing: (optional)

1/4 cup powdered sugar

2 tbsp lemon juice (from the lemon you zested)

1 tsp milk

handful of chopped pistachios



First grind your nuts together. Just a perfect marriage.




In a large bowl combine your nuts, flour, baking powder and salt.


In another bowl, combine your wet ingredients with your sugar.


Use your butter wrappers to line your pan.


Whitney loves when I put my hand in the shots. So funny...



Then mix the after ingredients well and put together with dry. Add lemon zest. Ahhhhhhhhhhh love that smell.


I put my batter in my much used bunt pan.

Bake 40 min in a 350 degree oven. Depending on your oven, you may want to cover in foil for the last half of the process. Mine did fine without though.

After the cake is cooled, mix icing and drizzle on cake. Sprinkle on a hand full of pistachios and a dash of extra powdered sugar for the Wintery snow effect.


Then slice into your nutty goodness. Goes well with tea- morning or evening.

2 comments: