Monday, December 13, 2010

Ann’s Chair Cookies with Chocolate and Butterscotch


Just to die for...

OK, we’re obviously on a sweets kick.  And when I think sweet, I think Grandma.  Both of my Grandmothers were and are great cooks.  One recipe that my mother adopted from Grandma Ann when she married into the Bridges’ family was Grandma’s cookie recipe.  1) Because
it’s what my father loved, and why change that and 2) they really where just the BEST.

Grandma chopping figs for figgy pudding over Christmas

For my mom, being a busy mother of three like my Grandma, who has time for scooping the dough into little perfect cookie sizes, then taking sheet after sheet in and out of the oven?  And so went the invention of Chair Cookies.  That’s what we called them.  As a young girl, I pictured Barbie sitting on them.  There were only 4 Chair Cookies (the corners), the rest of the “edges” were really more like Sofa Cookies.  I’m pretty sure Dad’s favorite were the gooey flat middle ones- so He supported this furniture food fantasy, leaving all the middles ones for him.  We figured you out though, Dad.  

I threw the butterscotch chips in for fun.  Butterscotch is right up there with marzipan in my book- love love love.

Ann’s Chair Cookies with Chocolate and Butterscotch

1 cup crisco
1 cup brown sugar
½  cup white granulated sugar 
Cream together.

then add:
2 eggs and mix well

then add:
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla, mix again

then add: 
2 cups flour, mix again

Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips, and 1 cup butterscotch chips

Bake at 350 degrees, 25 min in greased 9x13 pan for your Chair and Sofa Cookies.

If you must, and want individual round cookies, bake 10 min 350 degrees


1 comment:

  1. Oh yes! There is nothing like a good old fashioned cookie recipe. Especially when that recipe calls for Crisco.

    ReplyDelete