Monday, April 8, 2013

Peanut Satay Sauce and Dressing

So I admit I've been holding out on you all.  The first time I made this sauce, I was stunned.  Was it really THAT good?  Or was I just pregnant and everything tasted good?  Then I made it for guests and they were having thirds- no not of dinner, of JUST THE SAUCE.  My sister was dipping her fork in it and licking it like lolly pop.


Our palates first laid eyes taste-buds on it just before we moved from Portland.  Our treasured friends, Wes and Jess, had us over for a "last meal" of sorts.  We ate out on their patio while dipping veggies and chicken into this sauce.  Neither Chris nor I could believe how yummy it was.  I mean, we were warned that we would want more after scooping a conservative amount onto our plates, but really?  I needed a bowl?!

Bottom line: foodies, must have foodie friends.  Period.  We need each other to survive and inspire.  We sure miss our Portland "lovies."  Here's a shot of a few that came down to surprise me at my baby shower.  The satay sauce comes from Jessi (green necklace), and yes, people think we are sisters.


Alright, about the recipe.  Super simple.  You can whip this up in a food processor in no time.


This my cilantro jungle (minus 6 plants I gave away!) where my cilantro came from.


Chris working hard in the yard for lunch!


Peanut Satay Sauce

6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, slightly chopped
1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup minus 2 tbls soy sauce (or tamari, I've used fish sauce in the mix as well)- odd measurement, but do it!
3 tbls rice vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup canned coconut milk (to your taste pref) 




In go garlic and ginger bites.


Pack the cilantro in.  Then pulse.  Add the olive oil, soy sauce and vinegar.  Should look like a pesto.


Then the peanut butter.  Eeeee I'm getting excited at this point!  Give it a whirl.


Lastly add the coconut milk.  Start with a 1/2 cup and taste, if you want more, add more.


All ready for dipping.  SO flavorful!  I just love the perfect balance of the ginger, garlic, peanut, cilantro, coconut- all of it!


We grilled up some chicken and made a salad of greens, bell pepper and cucumber.  This recipe makes plenty of sauce, but grill enough for lunch leftovers.


I love it both for dipping and as a dressing.  Jessi also recommends using it as a starting point for a soup (adding chicken brother and veggies! oh heaven!)

As we ate lunch this weekend, I asked Chris "what's your favorite part of the sauce?"  After contemplating as he chewed thoughtfully he responded, "the taste."  haha... men.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I feel honored that you enjoyed it enough to share it on your blog! :) I recently made this with almond butter, and it also divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless you for sharing this! I know I will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete