Friday, April 5, 2013

Coconut Banana Bread

Well my due date came and went yesterday.  But I'm not the type to sit around and do nothing.  I couldn't get banana off my mind.  Then I remembered seeing a recipe for Coconut Banana Bread.  This belly busting mom was gonna do some baking, even if my apron is too small.


For me, the best breakfasty breads need to be moist throughout, but must have that crispy-mc-crisperson top!  The recipe left me with NOTHING to complain about.  Easy recipe.  Easy baking.  Came out of pan perfectly.  And it's taste landed somewhere between island oasis and kitchen comfort.


Coconut Banana Bread
from Julia at Fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com

1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract- you know... my fave.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 salt
3 medium ripe bananas mashed
1 cup light coconut milk (give it a good shake first)
1 cup sweetened flaked/shredded coconut

Heat your oven to 350.


In a mixing bowl, stir sugar and oil.


Add in one egg at a time, still mixing.


In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients.


Add them to your wet mixture slowly, as to not get flour everywhere.


Then add your coconut milk, mashed bananas and coconut flakes.  Lastly your extracts. 


Ah!  It's looking so good.


Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.  Mine filled up pretty high, so I put the loaf pan on a baking sheet.  Later, I realized there was no need, but it's never a bad idea.

Set your timer for 1 hour (mine ended up cooking for 1 hour 10 min, just give the ol' tooth pick a test).  I went for a vigorous walk.  Two purposes: there was no saying how many pieces I was going to "sample," and I've been taking two walks a day trying to get this labor going!


Look at this beauty!  I love when bread cracks open at the top.  It never looks the same.  Each loaf is unique.  Kind of like diamonds- all showing off their individuality.   


Let cool for 30 minutes.  It should pop right out of the pan with no problem.  Just LOOK at that crunchy top!  And the center was so soft- as if bread and cake decided to elope out of sheer romance. 


A slice and a half down, accompanied by a long walk.  If tomorrow doesn't bring a baby, I may have to do some more baking... :) but that wouldn't be so bad, right?

1 comment:

  1. You totally amaze me. In the throes of being preggo, and you manage to move to a new house, set it up, set up the garden...and now you're blogging, cooking and baking on a regular basis. Can't wait to meet Colton-- after you have your private time with him first. Blessings xoxoxo
    Oh, and this banana bread... I was just saying I want to learn to like it again. For some reason, I haven't liked it. Buuuuuuuuuuut, this is a definite way to get me to like it. Love me some coconut!

    ReplyDelete