Friday, November 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Heavenly Bake

Okay, so I'm on a bit of a kick this week: Sweet potato soup, Sweet potato hash, Roasted sweet potato... all because I bought a ton of sweet potatoes in preparation to make THIS dish.

Last Thanksgiving we were invited to our neighbor's Thanksgiving gathering. It was potluck style (food and people) every different kind of dish and walk of life... that's Portland for ya.



To be honest, I don't even remember what I brought, but what I do remember was this sweet potato dish. I shamelessly scraped the last of this dish when it came through the second time. If I hadn't been in the presence of strangers I might have licked it clean, maybe I should have anyway. I sheepishly asked the next day if I could find out who made it and stalk them for the recipe. She said it was her chef brother (of course). I thought it tasted chefly.

Kristin called it Sweet Potato Casserole. I'm allergic to the word casserole. Therefore I've taken the liberty of renaming it: Sweet Potato Heavenly Bake. You could serve it as a side dish, but it's practically dessert. I might even pass on pumpkin pie for extra helpings of this goodness.

Sweet Potato Heavenly Bake

3lbs. sweet potatoes cooked and mashed

3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

3/4 stick butter, softened

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1 teas. vanilla


Topping:

1cup brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup melted butter


Peel your 3 pounds of taters.



Choppity chop. Into a pot of cold water.

Cover and bring to a boil. Then turn down heat and simmer for 15 min.

Heat oven to 350.

After fork tender, drain the sweet potatoes.



In a mixer, beat eggs and sugar.

Add the hot sweet potatoes and keep mixing.



Add evaporated milk.

Lastly stir in the vanilla. Now it's starting to smell heavenly.

Sweet potatoes and vanilla? I'm done for.



Spread evenly into a 9 x 13 pan. Mix the topping ingredients together and crumble over the top.

Oh pecans... how I love thee!



Bake for 1 hour.



Wait for your favorite person to join you. Pour them a beer and dig in.



I served this with roast chicken and a festive salad with citrus vinaigrette. The acid on the salad was important to help cut the sweetness on the dinner plate.


Why wait till Thanksgiving. You need an excuse to try this BEFORE turkey day.

To do list: MAKE THIS. Check.


1 comment: