Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Atomic Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette

We were over at our friends house in Granite Bay, CA sometime last year.  I watched as Suzzanne Bonn, eccentric and loving mother of a more than full house, cooked us dinner.  As she brought out the salad to the dinner table, she put a few dressings on the table and then said "oh, and then there's THE ATOMIC."

"The Atomic WHAT?!"

Just plain "ATOMIC."  All the kids said, it's for garlic lovers only... and even they sometimes can't handle it.  I knew immediately this was up my alley.  Chris tried it, and we still recall him coughing surprisingly at the potency of it, but still loving every second.  Upon arriving home that night, I knew I had to develop my own ATOMIC.

I've tried several vinaigrette's, simple to complex, and when it comes down to it- all it takes is good olive oil, a vinegar you like, maybe another acid then add salt and pepper.

Below is my version of THE ATOMIC.  It's best made fresh (quick too) and dresses a Caesar or a Cob quite nicely. Thanks for the inspiration Suzzanne!

Atomic Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette 

2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
3-4 cloves garlic
4-6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
favorite greens






My shocking shout out (yeah right) to Traders.  Everything there is excellent.


A little dijion.  Just a teaspoon, too much changes the taste.


Step 1 and 2, looks like a sea slug.


Fresh lemon juice is a MUST.  2 tablespoons is about half a lemon.


I do have a garlic press for this quick stuff.  When I'm not feeling the need to chop and smash, there's the lovely press.


Easy as that.


There are very few things fresher than lemon zest.


Add your salt and pepper and whisky whisk.


Then stir in olive oil.  Taste it as you go.  I like mine more a 2:1 ratio with the vinegar, but 3:1 is the classic vinaigrette.


Here's one of my VERY favorite kitchen tools: salad spinner.  The one with "breaks."  

I've been into red leaf lately.  I go through swings with my greens.  Don't want to O. D. on arugala or romaine.  Lettuce love all the greens!


Toss lightly and sprinkle with cheese.  Pair with breaded chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment