Thursday, June 15, 2017

No Bake Peanut Butter Squares

If you are a Reese's lover, you must try these.  Four ingredients.  Hardly any "cooking" involved.  And they are so so yummy.  Your guests won't know what hit 'em!


Friends, I have made promises like this before, but I thought this would be an appropriate time to remind you: I WILL ONLY POST FOOD THAT IS ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL on this blog.  Just because it's vegan, dairy free, gluten free and has no refined sugar does not mean you should swipe right.  In fact, you should be ridiculously excited because that's healthier ingredients in your belly and tastier dishes on your table.

That being said, this is not a health blog, but I get excited about health and whole food nutrition, so most of what you find on here will hold some sort of merit.  And if it doesn't, there's probably a dang good story to go with such a treasured recipe.  I hold the conviction that we should steward our bodies and think about everything we put in them.  I also think food should be FUN and not stressful, so all edible things in moderation. 


And then there's this face.  Gah, I mean come on.  

Her skin issues have begged me to experiment with my diet, and while we are not out of the woods, I have to say, she's significantly improved.  For a little while, food was becoming stressful.  I had to throw the fun back into it, challenge myself to some new flavor profiles and drop some usual ingredients to get this lady back to her smily self.  Honestly, it's a journey I can say I'm thankful for but don't wish upon anyone.  (Dear Pizza, Cheese, Fried Eggs: I miss you and we shall meet again some day)


No Bake Peanut Butter Squares (adapted from thebeamingbaker.com)

Peanut Butter Layer
  • 1 cup natural, unsalted creamy peanut butter
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • ½ cup coconut flour
Chocolate Topping
  • 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
  • ½ cup unsalted, natural peanut butter
Note: 1 hour of freeze time required.

Start with the peanut butter layer.  Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix.  The coconut flour is kinda fun.  Make sure to store in fridge afterward.


Can we talk about these chocolate chips?  I didn't know they existed.  At most grocery stores.  Impressive.  And unlike vegan cheese, this chocolate actually tastes like chocolate.


Put chocolate in a double boiler and stir for a few minutes.  Essentially a heat proof bowl over an inch of boiling water.  Once melted, add the 1/2 cup peanut butter to it.


And every Reese's lover said Mmmmmmmmm


Press the peanut butter later into a pan lined with parchment.  Best to use a square 8x8 or 9x9, but I can't seem to track mine down :-(  Loaf pan it is.  Not as pretty, but in a few hours you will care less about presentation. Pour chocolate over the top.  Pop it into the freezer for 1 hour.  

Also, go ahead and comment on my slightly less than stellar photos these days...


Help!  I've got a clinger!


Another less than stellar photo.  I almost dropped this thing while lifting out the parchment paper because of the baby on my back (see the finger prints?) Doesn't she know I'm making these because of her?  haha... or that's what I told myself until I tasted them.  Suddenly the little monkey on my back looked like an angel.


Slice into small bite sized pieces.  Keep refrigerated until serving.  No need to apologize for the healthy ingredients.  This dessert is a show-stopper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment