Friday, January 27, 2017

Black Bean Tacos with Radish Salsa and Feta


Let me tell you about my sister-in-law.  Tay.  She's so good for our family.  She will break into song at any moment, and always knows all the words.  She's the kind of gal everyone wants to be friends with, but I get to call her family.  She's ridiculously fun but can go super serious in a heart beat.  She loves LA, loves the kitchen and eats mostly vegetarian.



Taylor shared this recipe with me when I came down to her home for wedding.  I was kidless, husbandless and just soaking in some quality time with my sister-friend.  We strolled the streets of Pasadena and then came home to make her "go-to tacos."  Guys, they were as good as she claimed.  Maybe better.  How could such simple ingredients come together in such a new for me?  I guess that is the amazing thing about food!  It just keeps surprising you!

Fast forward to the recipe making the list for our annual family vacations as well as being shared with  multiple close friends.  I literally grew radishes this year JUST FOR THIS RECIPE!  My version is adapted from the original blog: a couple cooks.  Tay's got a cute blog herself.  Give it a looksee.  Cute recipes and life musings.



I love how excited Colton gets about harvesting!  He has shared my love for gardening from an early age.  


After picking our radishes, we gave them a good rinse.  Some people think radishes taste like dirt.  Maybe, they're not rinsing them correctly? 😏


Dock the tops and root tail off.  Admire that color.  Such a beautiful little root!

Not pictured: olive oil, salt and pepper/// and yes, my limes look like lemons this year... silly little tree

Black Bean Tacos with Radish Salsa and Feta 
(makes about 12 small tacos) adapted from a couple cooks


  • 1-2 clove garlic
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 15-ounce can black beans (including liquid)
  • ½ + ¼ cup chopped cilantro, divided
  • 1 bunch radishes, slivered (12 to 15 radishes)
  • 4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
  • 2 limes (about 4 tablespoons juice)
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 12 small corn or flower tortillas
  • ¾ cup feta cheese crumbles
  • (optional: avocado slices)


This recipes is hardly cooking, more just assembly.  Cut radishes in half, then putting flat side down, slice into thin half moons.

Next chop up your onions and add to radishes.


Oh heavens, I love cilantro!  Finely chop your cilantro.  About 1/2 cup for the salsa, and another 1/4 cup for the beans.


Squeeze in your lime juice and add your salt.  It's the lime and the salt that really transform the radishes.  A quick pickling of sorts.

Feel free to make the salsa ahead of time, about an hour is good.  Much longer than that, the radishes will lose their crunch (not a huge deal) and the liquid will turn pink.  Kinda fun, if you ask me.


In the pot, heat your olive oil over low heat.  Once hot, add your minced garlic.  Cook garlic in the olive oil for about 20 seconds.  Then quickly add your ENTIRE CAN of black beans- liquid and all.  I know- weird, but do it. Season beans with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered on low.  Add the last of your cilantro.  Wa-la.

Assemble your tacos with beans, feta and salsa.  I know it just sounds too simple.  The feta is seriously the perfect cheese pairing.  This little mouthful will NOT disappoint!  



2 comments:

  1. This is so good Noelle! And I have finally discovered why I always grow radishes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Kat! It's a staple recipe for us now!!

      Delete