Friday, May 22, 2015

Lentil Salad with Kale and Almond Pesto

In the history of this blog, I've posted two lentil salads.  I am obsessed with lentils, and am still in search for a shirt that says "I heart lentils."  Both salads are fabulous... check them out here and here.  But today, my legume loving friends, I present a third lentil salad that will not only rock your healthy socks off, but it's flavors are unbelievable.  Just ask my meat eating husband.  He even loves it!  Trust me, I would NOT bother posting a third unless I found one comparable to my other two loves.


So without further story, I'll get on with it.  So you can get munching!

Ingredient list:

PESTO:
2-3 cups raw dino kale, washed with the stems removed (here's how)
1/2 dry toasted almonds
3 cloves garlic
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
About 1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

SALAD:
2 cups lentils, measured then cooked according to directions.
1 avocado
1-2 heirloom tomatoes
a splash of your favorite red or white wine vinegar


First the Kale/Almond PESTO:

Combine garlic, nuts, salt and pepper in food processor.  Then stuff in kale leaves.  As it's blending pour in olive oil through the top feed of the food processor slowly until incorporated.  Pulse in parmesan cheese.  

Taste for more salt and pepper and add more oil if needed for consistency.

Now for the SALAD:

Cook lentils according to directions.  Most are 25-30 minutes in boiling water, then drain and cool.  

Cube your avocado and chop your tomato.

When lentils are cool, combine all ingredients with at least a cup of the pesto.  Taste for Salt and Pepper.  No wait, really... did you do it?  Lentils, Avocado and Tomato all desperately need salt.  Now splash the salad with the vinegar for a little more lift.  Then hand it to your toddler for a taste test.


No son, that's not a rock.  It's a lentil and you'll like it. ;-)


Still a little convincing on his part, but mommy and daddy are happy.

Feel free to freeze any left over pesto in small tupperware or ice cube trays.  It's divine over goat cheese and crackers or chicken.

Have a wonderful and thankful memorial day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment