Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pumpkin Maple Muffins



It all started over text.

My girlfriend tells me she has "too much pumpkin leftover."  I gladly told her I would take it off her hands.  So there I was, dreaming up what I could make, as my parents were coming into town for the weekend.

The morning she was supposed to bring it over, I get a text apologizing that the puree had gone bad! Noooo!

I was already committed and drooling over the muffin recipe I wanted to try.  I adapted it a bit based on what I had in my pantry and was so pleased with the result.  Really guys, you HAVE to make these.
Off to the store I went to get a can of pumpkin!


I did a double take at this recipe for a few things: it wasn't just pumpkin.  It was MAPLE and pumpkin.  Hello?!  Fall romance going on in there!

Also, it called for olive oil instead of canola.  Not right for every dish, but perfect for some.  I like baking with olive oil- it brings out an earthiness. And the season of Fall is about creation around us changing with such beauty and color!  It seemed to make sense.


Pumpkin Maple Muffins adapted from Pinch of Yum

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup real maple syrup
3 tbsp almond milk (you can use regular as well)
3 eggs

Glaze:
2 tbsp butter
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp maple syrup
1-2 tbsp water

Mix your wet ingredients in one bowl.  Sift your dry in another bowl.

Then here is the secret to muffins: ready?  Don't over mix.  Use a spatula to fold them into one another until well incorporated.

Scoop batter into muffin liners fitted into a muffin pan.  Mine made a perfect 16.

Bake at 350 for 20 min.  Look at that finish!  Beauties!


Let them cool out of the pan.  When completely cooled, mix glaze ingredients together.  Next time I will use a little less water.  Drizzle over top.  

Perfectly Fall.  Perfectly delicious.


3 comments:

  1. Drooling over here! I can almost smell them! Great photo's as always. Thanks for sharing. We just might have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna! I hope you do! They are perfect for the season!

      Delete