Monday, February 6, 2012

Baked Eggs with Herbs, Kale, Turkey and SNOW!


 The Northwest has had its fair share of interesting weather this month.  A few weeks ago while Seattle got dumped on, Portland received its first offerings of snow this winter.  We'll take what we can get!

Sunday morning.  In our robes.  Coffee just made.  I had a little extra time and wanted to do something different.  AND something in my ramekins.  Love ramekins!


Use Real Butter  came up with their own hybrid recipe off of Ina's so I knew it had to be good.  And their blog post also featured snow.  Perfect.  Right as I was buttering my ramekins, snow caught my eye.  YES!  Could this morning get any better?  Yes...


Baked Eggs with Herbs, Kale and Turkey  (enough for 2)
4 eggs
1 tbls butter
1/2 cup or more of kale
2 pieces sliced turkey (bacon would be great too)
a fresh sprig of each: rosemary and thyme
2 tbls of fresh Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Start by buttering your ramekins and heating the oven to 375.

  
Just look at this lovely kale.  Kale seems to be the new "it vegetable."  Not only is it great for you, it's got great flavor.  Don't be intimidated by this leafy green.  I've been going a little crazy with the stuff cause I can't get enough.

Cut off the ribs and then chop the leafy part.

Sauté with the butter left from your ramekin lining.  Toss quickly with salt and pepper.  It wilts fast, like spinach.


 Next, chop up your herbs.  Rosemary and thyme are the classics.  They are so piney and smell of winter to me.

  
 Mix your herbs with your grated parm, salt and pepper.  Just a dash of the latter two.  The parm serves as a salting agent and you want your herbs to shine.


 Okay, now for assembly.

Crack your eggs carefully into the ramekins.  Be gentle not to break the yoke.  I think it's easiest to do this into a bowl and then slide them into the ramekin.

  
Top with your kale and slices of turkey.


Finish with your herbed parm mixture on top.


 Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until your egg whites are just set, ensuring a lovely oozingly lovely yoke.


 So while I got breakfast ready, Chris ran out in the snow.  He's such a great sport, ready to model on a moment's notice for my photos.

Speaking of my model husband...


We just shared our five year anniversary.  What a beautiful weekend of celebration, great wine, lovely food and my best friend all in the great Oregon wine country!

 Here's just a taste.


Now how did I get into wine and marriage?  Back to the eggs!


 Now, go get your robe on!  Heat your oven and prepare yourself for some winter herby deliciousness.

1 comment: