Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Apple Almond Cake

One might think there is no need for "reason" to bake a good cake.  I tend to agree.  But I usually come up with something to celebrate.  After all, if there's going to be cake, there might as well be something to honor, toast or remember.

I had just been to the apple festival in Portland and came home with these lovely Mutsu apples.  They are a cross between Golden Delicious and Japanese Indo.  They have almost a spicy sweetness to them.  Kind of like a good chai tea- sweet, but with spice.  Perfect for baking.



And my occasion for cake?  The one year anniversary with my dear 7:30am post-rehab class at work.  I have come to really love them.  They are each so unique- kind of like apples.  Different varieties from different roots that end up at the same fruit stand.  They have great stories, tid bits of wisdom, history, the know-how on Portland and lastly a great sense of humor!  Here are a few snap shots of our little get together.

 
I hope to be as inspiring as these folks when I grow up.

So for the love of my little "fitness family" I got up before God and everybody to make this cake.  Kind of a breakfast cake, but I would eat this dish three times-a-day if I could...

Adapted from a lovely Canadian blog Dragon's Kitchen

Apple Almond Cake



1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon



Begin by heating oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour your cake pan (I used a 9x13).


Super easy.  Mix dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

PS: curious why it's important to include salt in sweet dishes?  Salt brings out flavor in EVERYTHING!  It takes the flavor off of mute.  So even a little bit helps in a cake.  Never leave it out!


In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients.  I love cooking with yogurt.  Who doesn't love a cake with some protein in it?!


Mix the wet into the dry, whisking as you go.


Spread your batter evenly.  Taste it.  Love the almond extract.  It just guarantees "yumminess."


Peel your apples.


Slice them thinly and lay them orderly on your batter.


Chop your almonds.  These will hi-light the extract in the batter.  What a lovely pairing!  Almond + Apple= Amazing!


Toss the almonds with the last bit of cinnamon and sugar.  Then spread on top of the apples.


Bake for 1 hour or when tooth pick comes out clean.

This cake was so good.  Moist, comforting, not too sweet, good texture.  I brought some of the apples for my class to taste with the cake.  Gotta fit a palate teaching moment in with the exercise teaching.  It's all about balance, or that's what they tell me.

You won't be disappointed when you bring this to your holiday engagement or Christmas brunch.  Fa-la-la!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you like the recipe! Your cake turned out lovely and your class is inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really yummy and no doubt about the three times a day, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty! I definitely want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete