Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pumpkin Brûlée

I’ve been doing a lot of cooking and less writing.  I guess that’s healthy… means I do in fact like to cook just for the simple pleasure of cooking- not just to share it with the world (all 27 of you) :-) My food blog fascination began with my mom’s friend Debby from Monterey.  I’m still yet to meet her, so it’s kind of a penpal foodpal relationship.  Do check out her blog: A Feast For The Eyes  careful- it just may inspire YOU!


Debby was the first to comment on my finding a new crème brûlée set of ramekins and blow torch at a garage sale.  I was just tickled, carrying it in like a little puppy with a prized bone.  Well before I had a chance to try it out, off I went to work that night.  Upon coming home, Chris had a sparkle in his eye AND the dishes were clean… what in the world?  Lo and behold, he had researched, shopped, Youtubed and made a perfect crème brûlée successfully!  There were the little ramekins, chilling away in the fridge?!  I was literally dumbfounded.  Here was my husband, the grill master with no dessert or baking experience and he pulled it off.  It was custardy, perfectly set, pure vanilla crème brûlée goodness. 

 

Well if he could do it, then I shouldn’t be afraid of the so-feared and acclaimed decadence.  Debby recommended her Pumpkin Brûlée.  Now it’s not straight up crème brûlée, the pumpkin makes it more pudding-like than custard, but if you’re looking for an Autumn treat to switch it up… this is FABULOUS.  I was licking my dish... like that little puppy mentioned earlier.


Guys, this was SO EASY, with less steps and effort than the one Chris made!

Pumpkin Brûlée

Combine:

3 egg yokes

½ packed brown sugar

1 cup heavy cream

 

Blend well.



Chris separating the yokes
Then add:


1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)


Ariana, visiting from Rocklin, wearing my robe, helping out with the blog!
Add also...

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp allspice

¼ tsp cinnamon

Pinch of salt (brings out sweet flavors)

 


Fill ramekins.  I put my left overs in a bread pan as an experiment.  I mean, what's so special about ramekins, besides the fact they are so cute?!



Make sure to leave room on top for the sugar later!

 


Place ramekins in a baking dish and fill dish with hot water, about half way up the ramekins.


 

Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 min.

 

You want a little wiggle, not Jello, but not TOTALLY set.


Cool 2+ hrs in fridge.  Then for the torching.  Chris wanted to know if he could use it for his cigars.  I told him this was a kitchen tool for now, thank you very much!  …men… ;-)

 

Place a couple spoon fulls of sugar on top of chilled the Pumpkin dish.  The more sugar, the louder the crack you get!

 

When torching, you want to see little sugar beads form.  Be patient, and caramelization will begin to form.  And the classic Brûlée markings have a dark spot or two. 



Debby credits Food Wishes for the original recipe.  




This was too good, and way too much fun to make with friends, to skip out on.  Eat well!



3 comments:

  1. OH MY!! Creme Brulee meets pumpkin--what's not to like? This is so NOT on my Mama Bootcamp list of clean eating foods...sigh...I'll just have to take your word for it and dream of the day when I can indulge a little again...

    Laura B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwww, thanks so much for the shout! I'm off to San Francisco, for a weekend of meeting 350 food bloggers. Next year, you need to be here with us. Kudos to you and Chris for making TWO versions of brulee! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything brulee will catch my attention. Pumpkin Brulee?? How can I miss that?

    ReplyDelete